Another crafty sewing project I tackled this week was an adorable vintage-styled beret hat for my daughter. Ok, it started out for me, but I accidentally cut the elastic for the hat band a pinch too small and it ended up being the perfect size for Avi's head. After seeing how lovely the finished piece turned out, I think I'll do it again in my size.
I used inspiration from this tutorial here, although I changed things up. For one, the finished piece is definitely more beret than Garbo. It's not a floating lining (a sepia toned floral motif cotton), but rather affixed into place within the layers, and I elasticized the hat band, so it's not a simple fold-over as in the tutorial, but rather a tubular casing through which the elastic was drawn and then hand-sewn into place within the rim. As such it stands up more rather than lays down flat.
I've added this prototype to our Bonanza studio, if you'd like to get one of your own! Send along the desired size for the hat band for a custom fit!