Avi fell asleep on the couch watching her daddy play Skyrim, which is where I found her still this morning when Chad concluded the 'night shift' of hanging out with the baby while I got some undisturbed sleep. He works until 3am, so we're on opposite sleep cycles, he takes care of the girls until the morning, then I resume mommy duties. Avi woke up early with my morning clean & tidy ritual and was instantly harping "I want something to do!"
Before my coffee even, geesh!
So I prepped this quickie wall art project by simply masking off her name with painter's tape. I did her Hebrew name, her English name Avigael is a slight derivation of its Hebrew counterpart, Avichayil (pronounced Avi-hai-eel, with the ch pronounced with a guttural "hah" in Hebrew) but we were pretty sure that would be butchered so often she'd curse us for a lifetime of mispronunciations. It means "father's joy," and Chad was instrumental in selecting it from my finalist choices, because he had said he wanted a girl from the start. You could use your own child's name in whichever language you like! If you'd like to try something different, you can find many sources online which will generate a given name into a different language.
|Acrylic on paper, with Hebrew "Avichayil" having been masked off with tape.|
This wasn't quite as easy as I expected, since various bits of masking tape had to be trimmed to approximate the calligraphic-styled Hebrew letters. Because they aren't perfect, it contributes to a graffiti styling.
Then I covered to coffee table with newspaper, grabbed a palette, and squirted a narrow selection of acrylic paints out for Avi to go hog wild with on the paper. I chose greens and yellows because I figured in the 4-year-old creative process they'd get pretty muddled and I'd rather have a monochrome than a yucky brown mess. It didn't matter to her, she was just happy to be painting.
When she got done with her layer, I just filled in the white spots with a light wash so I could make sure paint covered the paper. I let it dry for a bit, and then very lightly sprayed and dripped some white and black spray paint here and there. When the paper was totally dry, I carefully peeled off the masking tape. Some color slipped under the tape in a couple spots, but the good thing about graffiti styled art, there's no such thing as a mistake!